Here at Wyvern we’re proud to be supporting dyslexic students nationwide and celebrating this National Dyslexia Awareness Week.
It’s estimated that up to 1 in every 10 people in the UK has some degree of dyslexia.
Dyslexia is a common learning difficulty that can cause problems with reading, writing and spelling. It is a neurological difference and unlike a learning disability, intelligence isn’t affected.
As a specific learning difficulty, it can also have an affect on areas such as coordination, organisation and memory.
All these factors mean that it can have a significant impact during education, in the workplace and in everyday life.
Types of Dyslexia
There are three types of Dyslexia:
- Development dyslexia – Caused during the early stages of fetus development and is hormonal in nature. This Dyslexia decreases as a child grows up and is mostly found in boys rather than girls.
- Trauma dyslexia – Occurs if the part of the brain that commands reading and writing abilities is injured.
- Primary Dyslexia – Does not change with age and is a malfunction in the left side of brain.
Signs of Dyslexia
There are various signs to look out for at different stages in life from early days, to school, right through to adulthood. Take a look at this article for the most common signs of Dyslexia at all stages.
But it’s not all negative, there are positives to thinking differently. Many dyslexic people show strengths in areas such as reasoning and in visual and creative fields.
In fact, many well-known figures and celebrities have dyslexia including:
- Albert Einstein – One of the most influential physicists in history who developed the laws of relativity and shaped the ways we think of the world today.
- Leonardo da Vinci – Primarily a painter accomplishing the famous Mona Lisa, however Da Vinci was skilled in many other areas including mathematics, sculpting and as an inventor.
- Walt Disney – An American icon who built the Disney Empire with his brother and is responsible for the growth of animation production. The popular Disney Land Parks have since been developed globally.
- Steven Spielberg – One of the most influential film personalities in the history of film, Steven Spielberg is perhaps Hollywood’s best known director and one of the wealthiest filmmakers in the world. Winner of 3 academy awards, 3 Golden Globes, 4 Emmy Awards, and the list goes on!
Take a look at this motivational speech from Steven Spielberg.
We have some inspirational people of our own here at Wyvern who have Dyslexia including our very own CEO, David Atkinson, who has championed the DSA industry for over 20 years.
One of our greatest success stories is Dyslexic student, Debbie, who is about to start her Masters in “Integrated Counselling and Psychotherapy”. Take a look at her interview here.
If you would like information about any of our services, products or how we are supporting learning difficulties get in touch today. We’d love to hear from you!